Christmas 2015: What I Look Forward To

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

THIS BLOG HAVE BEEN MOVED TO ANOTHER SITE. TO READ THE REST OF THIS POST, CLICK HERE.

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays. It's filled with so much joy and laughter. It's one whole month where things don't seem so stressful. Well aside from finals week of course. It's 30 days of giving and being nice. Because all of the other 335 days people don't care, at least some people. Christmas makes the meanest Scrooge and the worst Grinch come to life and experience Christmas for what it really is. Christmas is a sign for a new beginning for some people. After all, New Years Day is the week after Christmas. It just feels so great to have a holiday where giving is more important than receiving. This world is turning so selfish. It's good to know that myself and others still can feel that wonderful, giving Christmas spirit when it comes to the holidays.



There are many things I look forward to for Christmas. Right after Thanksgiving meal, it's Christmas time. I head to Black Friday to catch all the great deals. Then I immediately turn up to some Christmas music. I get my camera ready and my space cleared for all of the wonderful pictures I get to take. I'm excited to see how tall my cousins have gotten (because I'm the shortest now, yet the oldest) and how they're doing in school. A lot can happen between Thanksgiving and Christmas. These are some of the other things I look forward to:

Family

There is no better feeling than being with your family on Christmas. I have a huge family. Ever since I was a little girl all of my family will get together and come over Grandma's house for Christmas. It's tradition. And I'm the type of girl that never likes to break tradition or good habits. Imagine 3 sets of a family of 5 plus aunties and cousins all piling in a medium sized house filled with... something you just can't buy at a store. It's magical. It's the best thing to happen all year. If I won a Grammy next year, it still wouldn't top being with my folks on Christmas Day. It's where all of Grandma's grandkids just come and be together and hang out. It's where you realize that your Mom or your Uncle or Aunt has been listening to you talk about this shirt all year. It's where you can show your Grandma that you appreciate everything she does for you with a simple Christmas card or a nice red sweater. Family is just something you can't buy. It's the gift that keeps giving all year, but especially on Christmas. Christmas brings even the family members that don't speak to each other together. And that's the best thing ever.

Food

Next best thing to Family is the food! Duhh!!! I don't know which is better, Thanksgiving food or Christmas food. Maybe Christmas. One year my Mom made a cake that said Happy Birthday Jesus! I loved it so much. We have all kinds of sweets on Christmas. From my Grandma's sweet potato pies to my mother's red velvet cake to even my specialty, Kool-Aid pie. Not to mention the honey ham, the chicken hens, the dressing or as the North likes to call it, the stuffing. My family's cooking always has you full and coming back for seconds. Plus, I love it (if everyone is on time) when everyone gets to pray before we eat and all sit at Grandma's big glass table. It's so wonderful to have all of the family together on that special day.

Christmas Music

Sometimes, depending on who's DJing, either myself or my aunt, we play music. If I'm over the music, I like to play all the Christmas jams. Some of what you see on my Christmas Edition of #MusicMondays. I love playing "This Christmas" by Chris Brown, and "O Holy Night" with Patti LaBelle honey. Did you see her and John Legend slay on the #WhiteHotHolidays special that was hosted by Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson from Empire. I really enjoyed it. If I'm not over the music, then my Aunt will play her Gospel music. Some of it is Christmas and then some of it is just plain ole Gospel. But I'll listen to Marvin Sapp any day of any season.

Decorating the Tree

Can you believe we haven't put our tree up yet? I know! Christmas is next Friday and we have yet to put up our tree. Last year we had a Alabama and Auburn Christmas tree (split family). It was nice decorating one side red and white and the other blue and orange. We even had some flags to stick inside of the tree. My mother thought it would be different since we were rooting for Alabama to beat Ohio State last year. Now we're in the semi-finals going against Michigan State so hopefully we will have just an Alabama tree this year. All of my grandmother's grandkids love to put up the Christmas tree at her house. We all pick one Saturday where we can all get together and just help her put the tree up. It's a great way for all of us to spend time with each other before the big day and with her just by ourselves.

Honoring Jesus

Jesus is the reason for the season! Yes He is! I love Jesus so much and I thank God for placing him on the earth so He can pay for all our sins. Jesus has so much mercy on us and grants us so much grace. I have so many testimonies for all of the wonderful things He has done for my family and I. I am so glad that I can rejoice on Christmas day and just tell the Lord thank you. Not only for waking me up every Christmas morning and putting me in my right mind, but also just for creating me and loving me so much that He was born just to die for me. Jesus is my rock and I am so glad that along with being with friends and family that I can honor Him on the day He was born.

Being On Break

It's Christmas Break! I'm so glad I'm out of school. Does anybody else feel like they have something due on Canvas/Blackboard? God, I just feel like I have something to do even when the semester is over. Christmas break is not just for enjoying Christmas, family, and friends, but also to catch up on sleep and to lower stress levels. Lord Jesus, I can't tell you how happy I am to be done. Exactly one month out of school is just what I need.

The Gifts

I'd be lying if I said I didn't look forward to all the gifts. Now that I'm older I don't get "gifts", I get money, which is cool too, I mean I who doesn't love money? But I love it when my parents or Aunts and Uncles go out and actually buy me something. I just feel like personally a gift card (except a Starbucks gift cards, I will gladly accept those) or money is just an easy way out of buying someone a present. When you buy someone a gift, you're thinking of them. You're analyzing their likes and dislikes. If you just give them money in a Christmas card, it just isn't as thoughtful.

Watching Christmas Movies

Christmas isn't Christmas without watching Dr. Seuss's: How The Grinch Stole Christmas. I mean seriously, it just isn't. I love watching Christmas movies, especially on ABC family. They have ALL the Christmas movies. They even had a Toy Story marathon this past weekend (that movie has nothing to do with Christmas forreal forreal, but who cares? It's Toy Story). Check out my Top 20 Favorite Christmas Movies here on the blog!

I hope you enjoyed today's post! Tomorrow I will be posting a new post in my Becoming A Virtuous Woman series. On Thursday, I will be going to a Christmas program so be on the look out for a OOTD post soon! What do you look forward to on Christmas? Heading to your boyfriend's parents house? Did you get him a gift yet? If not, check out my Boyfriend Gift Guide for some ideas! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram and Twitter, and like me on Facebook. Remember to always inspire, and be inspired.

Tanisha B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS